Does that beautiful ring not fit you anymore? Did your partner pick up the wrong size? He must have spent a lot of time and thought into selecting the perfect ring for you. To see it not fit that finger well must be heartbreaking for both of you.
Yes, we know both of you are eager to get it sized to fit you perfectly. Be it your brand new ring or an old ring you just pulled out of the box after years; you can always resize it. Resizing a ring is not new, and many jewelers do a fabulous job!
Resizing A Ring
So, why would you want to resize a ring? It could be because:
- It is a size too small
- A size too big
- You gained/ lost weight, and the ring you love doesn’t fit you anymore
- You inherited this ring, and it is not your size
No matter the reason, a jeweler can easily resize it if it’s made of metal.
How To Resize
So, how can you resize a ring? First, go back to the jeweler you picked the ring from. This is the best option. If that is not possible because you are in a different city or the jeweler does not offer resizing services, opt for a trusted jeweler.
Can All Rings Be Resized
Unfortunately, the answer is a no. Only some metals are malleable enough to be resized. Some of the metals you cannot resize are:
- Rose gold – It’s too flimsy and can crack
- Tungsten – It’s too hard
- Titanium – It can be tricky. Only a few jewelers are experienced with this metal
- Rings made from non-metal material
How Much Can You Resize
You cannot resize a ring too much. Jewelers hardly agree to it, as it will require a lot of work and is as good as making a new ring. However, most of the jewelers agree to resize a ring up to two sizes. Either two sizes up or two sizes down. Beyond this might change the appearance of the ring.
However, if it is a family heirloom, you might require to resize it more. Some jewelers undertake such work, but you will have to scout for them. Also, it is advisable to go to a well-reputed and trusted jeweler when you want to resize something so precious.
Cost Of Resizing
Now, if you have decided to resize a ring, you need to consider the cost. So, how much does it cost to resize a ring precisely? It depends on several factors, such as:
- Do you want to make it bigger or smaller? Making the ring smaller will not cost you much as there is no added material required. However, if you’re going to make it bigger, you will have to pay for the extra material.
- How much does it cost to resize a ring larger than what it is? It depends on the number of sizes you want to go up and the design intricacy. If you wish to be just one size bigger, the cost will be little compared to two or three sizes bigger.
- Each metal has a different cost. Platinum is going to cost you more than silver. So, the metal your ring is made of is a primary influencer of the cost. This cost will also depend on the current market rate of the metal. Precious metals are traded, and prices change constantly.
- So, how much does it cost to resize a sterling silver ring? It will cost less. It can cost you as low as $20 to a maximum of $40. This is because sterling silver is much cheaper than silver. Since the cost of the metal is low, the cost to resize is also low.
- When the jeweler increases the size, he might recreate some designs to match the existing pattern. This requires skill and workmanship. The more intricate or technical the design, the higher the cost will be.
- Similarly, when the size has to be reduced, the design might have to be cut. This will require rejoining in such a way that the finish is flawless. The more complicated this step is, the more it will cost you.
- Each jeweler charges differently. If a highly reputed jeweler is resizing the ring, they might charge you more than smaller stores. Some jewelers don’t undertake to resize due to the workmanship involved. Most of the prominent jewelers are equipped enough to resize rings.
- If you are wondering how much it cost to resize a ring a larger Kays, it can cost you anywhere between $50 and $86. They can resize it up to two sizes up or down.
- If you just bought a ring from Zales and wonder how much does it cost to resize a ring at Zales – it will cost you almost $55 to resize your gold ring (two sizes up or two sizes down). The cost for resizing other metals will vary according to the metal.
When Should You Resize
Not sure if your ring needs resizing?
If it doesn’t fit you well and is loose enough to spin around your finger freely, it needs to be resized. Also, if you use creams or soap solutions to put the ring on or remove it, you need to resize it.
When your ring doesn’t fit you correctly, you might lose it. But, especially when it is too big and you use temporary fixes, you might not even realize it when the ring falls off.
On the other hand, even if you manage to get the small ring onto your finger, it might restrict blood flow, causing discomfort. Now, you want to flaunt your beautiful ring, don’t you? But, you didn’t get that ring to be kept safely in a box or to cause you to stress every time you wear it. So, get the ring resized and enjoy all those compliments!